MOS: First self experience

2/17/2016 08:48:00 AM

Bismillahirrahmanirrahim

Assalamualaikum people.

Finally, I start to type again. I'm not sure of not having time is the cause of not blogging or it's just that I run out of idea and that I'm just waaayy too lazy.

Okay, back to the topic.

I'm just gonna share my experience of a lifetime. Being a dental student, oral surgery should be one of the bread and butter in the profession. I mean, even in Malaysia, most of people here won't use their money in term of preservation and conservation of their teeth. Most of them (maybe some have become more aware of the value of our teeth), would rather go for extraction.

And today, it's about the last molar/third molar (some people may have, or may not, please go to the dentist and have a checkup), or what Malay people called "gigi bongsu". Some people may have symptoms of fever, pain or maybe nothing at all when these third molars are erupting.

In my case, the right lower one is partially erupted, and it didn't cause me any trouble (so far). But on the other hand, my other third molars are still not erupt. They're still inside the bone. And it started to feel pain this year on my left lower jaw. Most of people, they claimed to feel pain at this side, not knowing its a radiating pain from the third molar (well it may be or maybe not). So some of them might end up in the wrong place to check it.

As I was aware of this case myself (inshaAllah gonna be a dentist but Allah knows better, but hopefully yes) I straight away took a radiograph (in this case OPG, google it people) it was indeed my lower left third molar was erupting mesially towards my second molar. It wasn't that painful though, but rather it felt as if an annoying little brother trying to annoy you at times. Although in my case, Dr said you can wait, so they kinda give me the power to decide.

I decided to remove it, and sooo minor oral surgery it is. Being a dental student, I sort of believe to feel first what the patient might feel later, is like you know, there's this some special connection in it. You have been in their shoes (for that specific matter), and you can assure your patient that it's going to be just fine.

But the drilling, I know it can be bothersome, but try to bear with it. It's not an easy procedure but it can be done, and looking at my lecturers, I'm sure they are all full of experiences people, that they'll know what to do. I'm praying that I will become one too.. But not oral surgery though. Or should I? Okay don't know.

So, the process was one long hours process. First, the operator anesthesized me then need to wait until the local anaesthesia (LA) do it's magic, I didn't feel any sharp seriously. But yesterday, it didn't take too long for the LA to work, good job sister!

And then, comes the Oh My God there must be blood starting to flow out as they are cutting through my tissue. But I didn't feel any pain, but of course I was aware of what they're doing eventhough I was blindfolded. Then the next part, which might annoy you was the drilling part. Because they have to remove the bone in order to reach the molar inside. I was a little bit anxious during this part, so I kept on praying everything gonna be ease by Allah.

During the pulling-out-tooth-from-socket part (it's not a dental jargon, my own term hahah), it was rather a bit painful, just a bit as you actually start to feel tired of having to open your mouth for the past 2 hours (more or less), and that this procedure need such force in order to pull the tooth out. But it's not going to too long, if the dentist know where to pull.

The last part, was the suturing part. I have never imagine being sutured, all my life. And hopefully will not have to in the future, but still need to suture my other upcoming patients. You won't feel pain given that the LA is enough. But yes, of course you know you are being sutured! There are thread coming out from your mouth. You know when you are being sutured.

And last but not least, I started to feel the almost unbearable pain after the LA finished its job. I expected it, but didn't expect it to feel that way. Yes, the first day, you would feel like to bang your head or something but mine wasn't that severe. I just kept hitting the wall with my hand instead of head to at least interrupt the pain from locating at the surgical site. And the saliva kept flowing out (it became better once LA is not there anynore).

Mind you, this is of personal experience, not entirely scientific, dental kind of knowledge (well, some of it may be experience by all, some may not). The not so fun part of course, you can only eat soft food. And hard to open your mouth as it started to swell. And hard to brush your teeth. And can only rest on the bed (but this supposed to be fun but I'm bored, seriously).

Might also start to study.

Go ahead. Try to open the book. Let's see if you can study... or maybe another movie-marathon day hahah. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Blog Archive